To be studied in the Grade of Zelator (1=10). Aspirants will be tested on their knowledge of the following material, which must be committed to memory.
see also: the Curriculum for more information
The HOLY PLACE OR TEMPLE embraces the symbolism of the 22 letters.
The ALTAR OF INCENSE embraces the symbolism of the Three Mothers.
Give the Traditional attributions.
The SEVEN-BRANCHED CANDLESTICK embrace the symbolism of the Double Letters.
The TABLE OF SHEWBREAD embraces the symbolism of the Single Letters.
Give the OSOGD attributions.
The LAMPS OF HERU embraces the symbolism of the Double Letters.
The GIRDLE OF NUIT embraces the symbolism of the Single Letters.
The Names and Alchemical Symbols of
the THREE PRINCIPLES OF NATURE are:
The metals attributed to the PLANETS IN ALCHEMY are:
The following terms are used in Alchemy.
They have the meanings given below:
Sol Philosophorum: The Pure Living Alchemical Spirit of Gold–the refined essence of heat and fire
Luna Philosophorum: The Pure Living Alchemical Spirit of Silver–the refined essence of heat and moisture
The Green Lion: The Stem and Root of the Radical Essence of Metals
The Black Dragon: Death–Putrefaction–Decay
The King — Red: The Qabalistic Microprosopus
The King — Tiphareth: Analagous to Gold and the Sun
The Queen — White: The Qabalistic Bride of Microprosopus
The Queen — Malkah: Analagous to Silver and the Moon
The Four Orders of the Elements are:
- The Spirits of the Earth: Gnomes
- The Spirits of the Air: Sylphs
- The Spirits of the Water: Undines
- The Spirits of the Fire: Salamanders
The Kerubim are the Living Powers of Tetragrammaton on the Material Plane and the Presidents of the Four Elements. They operate through the Fixed or Kerubic Signs of the Zodiac and are thus symbolized and attributed:
|Kerub of Air||Human||Aquarius|
|Kerub of Fire||Lion||Leo|
|Kerub of Earth||Bull||Taurus|
|Kerub of Water||Eagle||Scorpio|
The Fylfot Cross
The Tree of Life
This diagram shows the Ten Sephiroth with all the connecting Paths, which are linked by the Flaming Sword.
Together the Sephiroth and the 22 Paths form the 32 Paths of the Sefer Yetzirah, or Book of Formation
The Two Pillars on either side of the Altar represent:
- Active: The White Pillar on the South Side. Mercy. Male. Pillar of Light and Fire. Right Kerub. Hadit.
- Passive: The Black Pillar on the North Side. Severity. Female. Pillar of Cloud. Left Kerub. Nuit.
The Four Worlds of the Qabalah are:
|ATZILUTH||Archetypal — Pure Deity|
|BRIAH||Creative — Archangelic|
|YETZIRAH||Formative — Angelic|
|ASSIAH||Action — Matter, Man, Shells, Demons|
The Ten Houses, or Heavens, of Assiah, the Material World, are:
|1. Primum Mobile||Rashith ha Gilgalim|
|2. Sphere of the Zodiac||Mazloth|
|3. Sphere of Saturn||Shabbathai|
|4. Sphere of Jupiter||Tzedek|
|5. Sphere of Mars||Madim|
|6. Sphere of the Sun||Shemesh|
|7. Sphere of Venus||Nogah|
|8. Sphere of Mercury||Kokab|
|9. Sphere of the Moon||Levannah|
|10. Sphere of the Elements||Olam Yesodoth|
In the Arts of Divination, such as The Tarot and Astrology, the QUESITED refers to the subject of the reading, and the QUERENT refers to the person requesting the reading, who may also be performing the reading.
The Tarot consists of a pack of 78 cards made up of Four Suits of 14 cards each, together with 22 Trumps, or Major Arcana, which tell the story of the Soul.
Each suit consists of ten numbered cards, as in the modern playing cards, but there are four instead of three Honors (face cards):
|Traditional Deck||Thoth Deck|
The Four Suits are:
|Tarot Suit||Playing Card Suit|
|Wands or Scepters||Clubs|
|Cups or Chalices||Hearts|
|Pentacles, Coins or Disks||Diamonds|
The 22 Tarot Trumps, or Major Arcana, are:
|Number||Thoth Deck||Traditional Deck|
|0||The Fool||The Foolish Man|
|1||The Magus||The Magician, The Juggler|
|2||The High Priestess||The High Priestess, The Popess|
|3||The Empress||The Empress|
|4||The Emperor||The Emperor|
|5||The Hierophant||The Hierophant, The Pope|
|6||The Lovers||The Lovers|
|7||The Chariot||The Chariot|
|9||The Hermit||The Hermit|
|10||Fortune||The Wheel of Fortune|
|12||The Hanged Man||The Hanged Man|
|15||The Devil||The Devil|
|16||The Tower||Tower Struck By Lightning|
|17||The Star||The Star|
|18||The Moon||The Moon|
|19||The Sun||The Sun|
|20||The Aeon||Last Judgment|
|21||The Universe||The World|
The Classes of Astrology
- Natal: Analysis of the Birth Chart, relates to a Querent’s personal characteristics.
- Horary: Determination of favorable times for the Querent to take a particular action.
- Medical: Influences on health and well-being of the Querent.
- Mundane: Prediction of events as they are concerned with groups and entire races of people, or the world.
Just as we divide the band of the ecliptic into 12 divisions according to the Signs of the Zodiac, so we divide the astrological chart into 12 Houses, beginning with the eastern horizon (ascendent) when the Querent was born. The positions of the Signs and Planets in the sky therefore fall into specific Houses at that moment in time. If we think of the Signs as relating to the inherent physical and psychic anatomy, and the Planets as functional modifiers of this pattern, then the Houses represent the outward environment and avenues of expression for the pattern.The 12 Houses reflect the meanings of the 12 Signs; the 1st House is like unto Aries, the 2nd House unto Taurus, and so on.
The following is the signification of the 12 Houses of Heaven, in brief:
- First House: Life, health, querent, etc.
- Second House:Money, property, personal worth.
- Third House: Brothers, sisters, news, short journeys.
- Fourth House: Mother. Rank and honor, trade or profession, authority, and worldly position.
- Fifth House: Children, pleasure, feasts, speculation.
- Sixth House: Servants, sickness, uncles and aunts, small animals.
- Seventh House: Love, marriage, spouse; partnerships and associations, public enemies, lawsuits.
- Eighth House: Deaths, wills, legacies; pain, anxiety. Estates of deceased. Magick.
- Ninth House: Long journeys, voyages; science, religion, art, visions and divinations.
- Tenth House: Father, landed property, inheritance.
- Eleventh House: Friends, hopes and wishes.
- Twelfth House: Sorrows, fears, punishments, enemies in secret, institutions, unseen dangers, restriction.
There is an angle between every two planets in a horoscope which is measured in degrees. When the angle produces a signifcant interaction between two or more planets they are said to be “in Aspect.” The angles which give rise to the “Major Aspects” are produced by dividing a circle by units of 2 and 3 (just as the Zodiac is produced by such a division). In order for two or more planets to be in Aspect they must be within a certain distance of the exact angle of division. This is referred to as the Orb of the Aspect, and generally means they must be within 5 to 12 degrees to be noticable, depending on the apparent size of the Planet in the sky. Therefore the Sun and Moon have the largest Orbs, and the smallest orbs are assigned to the Inner Planets.
|Opposition||180||Full Tension (energy cancelling)|
|Trine||120||Full Harmonious Cooperation|
|Square||90||Dynamic Tension (energy releasing)|
|Sextile||60||(weaker) Harmonious Cooperation|
|Conjuction||0||Union, Harmony dependent on Character|
|Parallel||<1 degree||Resonant Interaction|
THE SECOND MEDITATION
Please see the separate Grade Meditations Page.
Sources: Israel Regardie, Aleister Crowley, Llwellyn George